Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Dalia SahaDalia Saha
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

The transplant list seems to keep growing and donor supply is not able to keep pace. I found this article about surgeons using kidneys from pigs in humans. If it works, it seems like it would be a great solution but are there drawback we need to consider? Should we be worried about animals’ rights, breeding them for the purpose of being our donor supply?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58993696

viclop1192viclop1192
      Participant
      Up
      Down

We use animals to test chemical. What not to save a live

Michael NielsenMichael Nielsen
      Participant
      Up
      Down

We breed them for food…. is this any worse?

Up
      Down

How about Muslims, as far as I know they demonize the pigs

acteur20019acteur20019
      Participant
      Up
      Down

If we are talking about animal rights, we must also talk about human rights. Who has the greater right, animal or human, and here we go to the root of the problem, from the first being the human or the animal, and to the depth of the philosophical proposition when we reach the point of differentiation, so we say who is more important, human or animal, and here. The answer concerns what is presented the animal the pig to the human, and are there alternatives to what is presented? And compare with what humans offer this universe with all its components !!? I open a parenthesis to discuss…

navyfootdocnavyfootdoc
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I have no issue using them as long as they are being treated well, humanely.

jsmith96041jsmith96041
      Participant
      Up
      Down

My husband is waiting for a kidney. I would hope we would not put the life of livestock over human life. The animal organs kidneys, heart valves etc. can save many lives.

keileenkeileen
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Absolutely NOT! Leave the animals alone!!!!!!

THEADDEUS ONWUKWETHEADDEUS ONWUKWE
      Participant
      Up
      Down

The initiative is a welcome one. My only concern is the adrenal gland.

sp4094382sp4094382
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Its a good call to take on by medical researchers ,since basic organ function failing so widely along with continuously emerging complications,although average human life has increased at the same time basic organ functions and organ life is at question as a simple reason like diabetes mellitus a truly pancreatic failure,why research teams are not concentrating on basic modalities about average organ life specifically correlating to life styles and human behaviour ?

s.t.k.heghenas.t.k.heghena
      Participant
      Up
      Down

It will sound better when we safe human life instead of that of an animal. Besides, animal was given to man to feed on n have dominion over. It is a good work and an advancement.

Up
      Down

Surgeons at New York University’s Langone Transplant Institute have successfully performed a pig kidney transplant using a genetically modified pig as the donor.
      This is a momentous step towards saving the lives of tens of thousands of people awaiting a transplant.
      But there are still many unanswered questions surrounding the ethics and efficacy of cross-species transplants: more robust, longer-term trials will have to take place.
      Earlier this week, surgeons at New York University’s Langone Transplant Institute successfully performed a pig kidney transplant. This in itself would be unremarkable. What does mark the achievement as unprecedented is the identity of the donor – a genetically modified pig.

Some days post-surgery, the recipient, a brain-dead patient whose family consented to the experimental procedure, has not rejected the kidney and tests show that it is functioning normally. This incredible feat is significant both as a demonstration of scientific control over biological systems and as a beacon of hope to others in line for a transplant.

ELIZA LAB-OYANELIZA LAB-OYAN
      Participant
      Up
      Down

My say about this medical issue is it could be a way to save more lives if it is proven to be of more advatages rather than complications.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.