Should hospitals be allowed to have weight-based hiring policies?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Absolutely not! That’s so unfair!
  • Maybe, hospital employees should be healthy
  • Honestly, it’s their choice
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Mihir MaliMihir Mali
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

According to a 2012 study, 21% of US healthcare costs can be attributed to weight-based problems. Some believe that employers have to bear this burden through insurance premiums, and lower employee productivity.

Not all organizations are legally allowed to discriminate on this basis, but some non-profit organizations and private businesses (hospitals) are exempted from these laws. A BMI favored by most such organizations range between 18.5-25.

https://www.businessline.global/ethics-consult-forced-weigh-ins-for-clinical-institution-employees-magnificent-md-jd-weighs-in/biotech-and-pharma/

ann.kakavandann.kakavand
      Participant
      Up
      Down

A hospital is a health care facility and should encourage health. Hiring obese people who can have or develop concomitant disease early in employment or get injuries is a hazard to patients coming to the hospital in need of medical assistance. It defeats the purpose or adds hindrances.

cathe813cathe813
      Participant
      Up
      Down

If they can do the work, they should not be discriminated against. I worked with very thin, fragile nurses who were sickly. And worked with “obese” people who were extremely productive and more healthy than the really skinny ones. It all depends on the person. We should take into consideration the overall health and ability of the individual.

neis33neis33
      Participant
      Up
      Down

In Denmark the employer is obligated to pay salary doing sickleave, it is very well known that there are health issues connected to being obese, why should a hospital deliberately Cho and hire someone that they know at some point they will be paying salary when the person gets sick, I think it’s fair for the hospital to not hire people that are fat, of course then we can start talking about where the limit for being rejected as fat is, I would say when you have a BMI on more then 30 you are considered as being fat, there is also limitations, if your very much overweight, just a fast example, you run out of air very fast, and yes I know there will be many disagreeing with me now and can pull out examples on fat people that can still do the job , and that’s okay … we also know that there are a very large physical strength distance between men and women I come from the military and I am against women serving in combat units but no doubt my 16 years as an officer of course I have seen women that performs better than men unfortunately the percentage is very low, so there Will always be some who can but too many can’t that is why I say the hospital should be able to choose..

haveann79haveann79
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Should hospitals be allowed to have weight-based hiring policies? My answer is NO this is unfair. I would like to represent myself. I am a fat women but i can assure that i work faster than others who has lesser weight than i am. my bp is 130/90 and i run 3x a week but this is me. no matter i try to lose weight.

Robert KrupkinRobert Krupkin
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I do not condone excluding nurses who may be overweight from being hired for healthcare positions. Why? Well, first of all the hiring of healthcare workers should be based on their experience and ability to care properly for patients. (Full stop). Second, at a time when healthcare professionals are in short supply it is doing the public a disservice to not include a qualified professional just because she or he is overweight. This includes nurses, doctors, and other allied healthcare personal. I am 72 years of age. I am 5 foot 7inches tall and weigh 168 lbs. I am not fat or significantly overweight. I am a physician who seeks the best in nursing staff and other allied healthcare providers to care for our patients.

Robert H. Krupkin, M.D.

Miroslaw SkalskiMiroslaw Skalski
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Really? Hospitals should have a right to eliminate candidates who obviously will become a burden to the institution and coworkers. Obese people are slower, don’t fit in tight spaces, take more sick leaves. It is all et the expense of healthy health care workers who have to make up, and obviously at the expense of the patients who are not getting appropriate care. And at the and a role model question. Health care workers are the role models for a healthy lifestyle. If a doctor or a nurse is obese – that makes obesity OK. No, it is not OK. It is the biggest health care problem in this country, ruining the health care budget. And is totally preventable. Stop foddering yourself like a pig and move more.

Dr Hakim DassDr Hakim Dass
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Bo it is un fair

swillymenon.p123swillymenon.p123
      Participant
      Up
      Down

The potentials of the person is important than the way they are or they look. The ability of them to take care of patient is important than every thing

brianwilfred47brianwilfred47
      Participant
      Up
      Down

maybe or maybe not, but hiring healthy staffs at a health facility is so productive and those who are obese should still be given a chance to apply as we all know the pathophysiology of obesity, most times it’s genetics and I may encourage regular medical check-ups and promotion of health fitness programs at health facilities to keep all staff members energetic and productive.

BABATUNDE ONIBUDOBABATUNDE ONIBUDO
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Never,that brings about discrimination amongst workers

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.