Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Dalia SahaDalia Saha
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

Apparently, PA’s(physician assistants) don’t like their title anymore and prefer to be renamed physician ‘associate’ because they don’t assist physicians.

“There is an assumption that there has to be some sort of direct, hands-on oversight for us to do our work, and that’s not been accurate for decades,” says Clayton, who practices at a clinic in Golden Valley, Minn. “We don’t assist. We provide care as part of a team.”

Now what? Does this terminology make this even more confusing for patients?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/03/1059916872/physician-assistants-want-to-be-called-physician-associates-but-doctors-cry-foul

Judealex MachucaJudealex Machuca
      Participant
      Up
      Down

If they wanted to be called Physician Associate. Better get their ass back to school and get a Medical Doctor Degree.
      We nurses have more knowledge than them are no one called us Associates however we are the one who do everything for the patients.
      Also they have to work under a MD License.

careplus153careplus153
      Participant
      Up
      Down

As useval come back to school

catdoc54catdoc54
      Participant
      Up
      Down

With all due respect to both NPs and PAs, I find the constant creep of boundaries for scope of practice to be alarming. I know many very competent NPs and PAs, who know how to be gatekeepers when a client’s presentation indicates a need to be referred to a higher level of care.
      I also know some who are a threat to the health of clients, because they don’t know what they have missed or don’t know. I find the pressure to change titular nomenclature to be another move to blur the lines between physicians and lower levels of healthcare practice, and unadvisable.
      BTW, there are similar trends in the veterinary profession, where the status of various assistive personnel is hotly debated, and there is pressure to allow the scope of practice of paraprofessionals to be expanded.
      Jessica Faye Harrison, RN, DVM

mariamesatmariamesat
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I believe this may cause some confusion with physicians who already have physicians who are their “associates” who may cover their practice but may not be partners in the practice.

Dr Mukund LalDr Mukund Lal
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Middlelevel nomenclature in regard of physian and physian assistance is distinguishing the role of physical whether both are doing same work.nomenclatute revealed the dignity and experience of physian.but if PA prefer the assistance of physical it’s issue of PA.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.