Are trends to purge "racism" from medical guidelines going to make things worse?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Are you kidding; race-based approaches are wrong and will always lead to discriminatory practices
  • They could, but some systemic issues need to be addressed
  • Yes, one size does not fit all, and neglected communities need protocols favoring them
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mihir MaliMihir Mali
      Participant
      Up
      Down
      ::

Dr Stanley Goldfarb, a doctor and the founder of an organization which strongly advocates against the recent efforts towards anti-racist medical practices. Members of this organization strongly believe that the radicalization of such protocols will increase disparities instead of solving any problem. They are confident that no systemic issues exist, and doctors are always doing the best for their patients.

In contrast to Dr Goldfarb’s beliefs, Joel Bervell, a medical student at Washington State University believes that such protocols will actually “elevate the medical field for everyone.”

According to MSN news, he said,” The changes that are being made in medical school and the push that individuals like myself are making are not to take care away from people. It’s to make sure that everyone has access to care; that when we talk about communities that have often been ignored, that what we’re doing there is actually expanding access to everyone. If you can provide better care for people who have never had it before, that heightens the entire system,”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/antiracist-radicalization-in-medical-field-is-causing-new-discrimination-physician/ar-AAXlKqI

Crystal ThomasCrystal Thomas
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Care should not be about race. Community education is the key because not communities are the same and one approach may not suffice everyone due to cost, compliance, and knowledge. Providers follow guidelines to provide the care but sometimes that has to bend due to circumstances. Race isn’t the issue, it’s access and financial burdens to care that present a problem.

Jarqundrala SpencerJarqundrala Spencer
      Participant
      Up
      Down

It is absolutely true that race should not be a factor in medicine but the truth of the matter is, I personally see how certain races are treated and cared for where medicine is concerned. Especially where brown skin ( Blacks and Hispanics) is concerned. Though I’m well aware of the drug abuse epidemic but I have personally witnessed Doctors withhold much needed medication from patients of darker complexions. But will give it to a patient with whiter (Caucasian) skin. Trust me it is happening everyday. I am a nurse and see it and it angers me to see this. I’ve also seen Blood products not given to a 18 year old sickle cell patient because they say there’s shortish but will raise holy cane about a 89 year old white female not getting blood for a Hct level of 17. I see these things and more. It is definitely wrong, wrong, wrong on so many levels.

javanonyango95javanonyango95
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Medicine should be able to accommodate everyone despite their skin colour but to be honest I dont see that happening at all many black people and Latin Americans still remain behind when this topic is taken into consideration but hopefully amends will be made

Ochan Peter pilatOchan Peter pilat
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Indeed it was been happening in many parts of the world especially in same places where races is like a norm, like in southern part of Africa and part of subshara region in Africa.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.