fbpx
Eating Leftover Led to Amputating Legs and Fingers - medtigo

ADVERTISEMENT

Eating Leftover Led to Amputating Legs and Fingers

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

A 19-year old had little idea that his meal would cost him his legs and fingers. The teen was admitted to the Massachusetts General Hospital after developing diffuse abdominal pain and nausea.

According to a report by The New England Journal of Medicine, the boy had eaten leftover rice, chicken, and noodles, after which he felt abdominal pain and his skin turned purplish.

The boy was admitted to the hospital of shock and rashes; later, his condition worsened. He experienced abnormal breathing and unstable blood pressure.

According to the report, the college boy was diagnosed with meningococcal purpura fulminant disease. Purpura fulminant is a rare type of disease that comes with shock. The college student suffered stiff neck, nausea, organ failure because of purpura fulminant, says the report.

This condition is caused by bacteria which results in sudden fever and vomiting. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it can lead to death within a few hours.

Gradually when his condition worsened and the tissues and cells died, the doctors decided to amputate his legs and fingers to stop the infection, says the report.

The boy lives with his mother, brother, and his pets. But for the last five days before this incident, he was living with his friend. His friend also ate the same food but didn’t develop life-threatening conditions.

Despite his habit of consuming cigarettes, marijuana, and alcohol, he has been healthy overall. The medical team later discovered that though he got the meningococcal vaccine, he didn’t get the recommended booster dose.

In 2008, a similar case was reported by the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, where a teenager died in his sleep. He slept after eating pasta that was not refrigerated overnight.

Experts say that rice and pasta contain a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. This bacteria releases toxins when heated and not stored properly. Thus, medical professionals always warn about the proper storage of rice and pasta.

Leave a Reply

ADVERTISEMENT 

ADVERTISEMENT